Monday, August 22, 2011

My love affair with biking


Growing up. I always watched my brothers and oldest sister play sports and really get into them and just love to be out on the field, court, or whatever it maybe. I was just a quite, shy, wouldn't look or talk to anyone, liked to dress in dresses little girl. My family moved to Utah and I came out of my shell and became a complete tom-boy. I loved to wear my brother's clothes. We had a deal, I could only wear his clothes if I didn't wear make-up. That made it interesting through my acne years but I didn't care, as long as I could wear that Nike Jacket everyday. As I became a tom-boy I became athletic, I know weird, right? I started running every day with my dad. It was such a fun time. I did track and field in Jr. High and High School. I played soccer my Junior and Senior years. After High school I kept running and thought it was something I loved. I trained and ran my first and only half marathon the same year my dad picked up road biking. The half was hard and I wanted out. A month later I was a proud owner of a Trek 2100. I was excited to be working out with my dad again. That summer we did the Utah Summer games and I won a few medals and came in first overall in my age group with points and won a jersey. The day after we came home from that I had foot surgery and couldn't ride for the rest of the summer let alone walk. Winter came and all was well. The next summer I spent in Idaho with no bike, the next summer I was recovering from a tumor in my arm and couldn't really hold myself up on the bike due to muscle atrophy. Let's just say life happens and it took a few years to get back into biking. I bought the frame of what I now have and love. Carbon Fiber!!! I bought all the parts separate and paid Travis my bike guy put it together for me. Since then I have been slowly getting back into the saddle for some serious biking. This past year, I biked all winter long in my front room on my trainer and once it got sunny, outside. I take what time I can and go hard. I have never really liked biking on my trainer, but this winter it was the best thing that has ever happened to me. I was stressed out beyond belief and was hurt and biking out the pain and stress was the greatest thing for me. Now, I can't wait to go out on my bike. I love the feeling. I love the way it makes my legs feel when I ride hard, my abs when I go up hills, and my arms when I'm holding on for dear life because I am loving it so much. When my parents where here in July I got to ride with my dad again and it was so much fun. We did Squaw Peak, and South Fork in one day and then another day we did the Alpine Loop. It was so much fun. I always tell my dad once I find a man that I love as much as my bike we'll know I'm gone for sure. I got to ride my bike in a sprint triathlon and my team got third place. I love the feeling of racing. This girl and I stayed together the whole time and we wouldn't let each other get in front of the other. At the end I dropped her like she was hot and beat her to the finish for the biking. Anyway, those are some of my thoughts as I sit here looking at my bike and feel so much love for it. It might be good for my roommates to come back.

1 comment:

Ray and Lisa said...

You are so awesome! Dad loved riding with you!!!
Keep up the great work!!